This is a writing contest with prize money for the first three places and inclusion in an anthology for winners and honorable mentions.
The contest submissions open January 8th, 2024.
$35 for nonmembers
$20 for members of HWG or WIVLA (You do not need to be a member of both organizations to get this discount – though we do hope you will consider joining both)
Be sure to verify your HWG or WIVLA member status to verify your entry fee cost.
- First prize — $100 plus certificate, a medal, and complimentary 3Day pass to Authorpalooza Extravaganza Conference
- Second prize — $50 plus certificate, a medal, and complimentary 3Day pass to Authorpalooza Extravaganza Conference
- Third prize — $25 plus certificate, a medal, and complimentary 3Day pass to Authorpalooza Extravaganza Conference
- Publication in the book as an honorable mention or winner will also mean a complimentary copy of the volume as well as complimentary entry to the book launch party event on Friday, October 4, 2024 for themselves and a plus one.
Additional Contributor Author Benefits:
- Each author published in the book will be able to purchase as many copies of the anthology as they wish at 50% off retail price and resell these retaining all profits from said sales.
- Retain all rights to their story for any future or concurrent use. No exclusivity is required or requested.
ALL submissions will receive general constructive feedback from judges.
- Submissions will be accepted starting January 8th through April 8th, 2024. Please follow the submission guidelines below.
- Judging will take place between April 9 through April 30, 2024.
- Winners and Honorable Mentions will be provided revision requests by the volume’s developmental editor by Monday, May 13, 2024. Authors may choose to have a one-on-one meeting with the editor and gain further insight as well as experience the process of working with a publishing house content editor.
- Revised drafts will be due by Monday, June 3, 2024 for the final version of the story to be included in the anthology.
- Release will be Friday, October 6, 2023 at the opening evening of the Authorpalooza Extravaganza Conference.
Winning authors and honorable mentions whose work is to be included in the final anthology will go through this part of the process so that the final story published is the strongest possible. Word count limit will no longer be important. The focus is on putting the best possible version of the story out to readers.
- The story should be at least 3000 words AND no more than 7000 words long and must involve the volume’s theme, Journey into Time, in some way. All genre’s and subgenres are welcome.
- Author’s may submit up to 2 stories to the contest – each story submitted will require a separate entry fee.
- A panel of judges will score the submissions and determine the winners and honorable mentions – these stories will be published in the anthology and receive their respective additional prizes as applicable.
- The stories will then move to the publication queue, which consists of two phases:
- Revision Phase – Authors will be given an opportunity to work with an editor in a revision consultation. A deadline will be provided for resubmission based on the revision requests.
- Editing Phase – professional copyediting will ensure the work is ready for the public.
Send your submissions in two word documents to [email protected].
Subject Line: Journey Into Time Contest Submission
Send ONE Word doc which includes ONLY:
- Title of story and word count
- author’s name as you wish it to appear in the publication
- author’s legal name
- contact information for author including: email address, telephone number, and mailing address
- a short biography (no more than 500 words) of the author with links to your social media sites and website (if applicable).
Send SECOND word document with:
- 1st page – Title of Story and word count (ONLY)
- 2nd page should begin the short story
- Story should be in 12 pt Garamond font, single spaced.
- Your name should NOT appear anywhere in this second word document. Do Not Put Your Name in the header or on the first page of the story file.
If the submission is not sent using the aforementioned formatting requirements, it will be automatically disqualified. There will be no refunds of the entry fee should a disqualification occur. Any entry that does not strictly adhere to the guidelines provided will be disqualified and monies paid will not be refunded.
No exceptions to the guidelines will be made.
About The Judges
Information on contest judges coming soon!