Houston Young Professionals
John Richard Harris pioneered his way from Missouri and founded the town of Harrisburg at the junction of Buffalo Bayou in 1826. The town thrived, and by 1829, Harris had established the first industry, a steam- operated saw mill, in what is today the Houston Metropolitan Area. Like Harrisburg was for the Republic of Texas, the East End was the backbone of early industry in Houston. Traditionally perceived as the industrial part of Houston, the East End historic economic success is only rivaled by its diversity. Harrisburg was initially sought by the Allen brothers for their settlement named Houston. Probate of John Harris’ estate prevented the sale of Harrisburg, and the Allen’s settled a few miles north, at what is now known as Allen’s landing. The city of Houston annexed historic Harrisburg in 1926, but John Harris is honored forever as the namesake of Harris County.
Gradually, the East End has shifted from strictly industrial facilities, into the city’s cultural melting pot and hotbed for small businesses. Open office spaces, cultural facilities, universities, parks, the arts, and deep-rooted heritage are all working together to help transform the perception of the growing East End. Through the years, the East End region has grown from the Port of Houston, to parts of the Texas Medical Center, Hobby Airport, the Metro rail, and East areas of downtown (including Houston’s professional baseball and soccer team stadiums).
The Port of Houston is now the busiest in the United States, seeing approximately 215 million tons of cargo passing through it every each year. Houston witnessed a massive expansion to the east city’s limits, inducing a boom to the construction industry with both new businesses and housing with new business and housing construction and an extension of the city’s limits.
With grand-scale economic expansion came massive immigration to east Houston. By 1910, Houston saw a wave of Asian immigrants arriving from the port. These early immigrants settled in parts of East Downtown and the East End. The 1920s made Houston a veritable melting pot of new residents. Caused by a mix of social turmoil in Mexico, coupled with the labor-hungry economy, Houston accepted thousands of Hispanic immigrants. This influx of immigration began to shape much of east Houston with the construction of many new neighborhoods. Magnolia Park, Idylwood, and Eastwood all owed their existence to the settling of these new residents, and would eventually become what is now known as the East End.
The East End Today
The East End remains the commercial center of the city today. It’s also the hub of Houston’s transportation systems. The East End links the industrialized centers of the United States and Canada with the Port of Houston and Mexico.
Until recently, international trade, manufacturing and warehousing dominated the East End area’s economy. Today the East End is beginning to reap the rewards from new channels, such as the Metro rail. Upward trends in residential housing and retail business along rail corridors forecast the East End to continue its recent growth pattern. Additionally, over half a billion dollars is being invested in the Greater East End, bringing light rail through the heart of this community along with major street beautification, including pavers, trees, pedestrian lighting, street furniture and bike trails. Houston’s best-kept secret is no longer a secret.
The success of the Chamber is deeply rooted within the culture and connections of its region—more specifically, the people and relationships of the East End. In a five-mile radius, the East End is home to over 234,000 people and over 7,700 businesses with over 100,000 employees.
We believe from these relationships is where commerce swells. Because strong relationships spur growth, purchase with confidence, get contracts signed, and refer out-of-good-faith.
- What are the Benefits of being a Member of the Houston East End Chamber of Commerce?
- The perks of joining the East End Chamber of Commerce include invaluable promotion and publicity for your company, networking opportunities, and more. Membership also generates customer referrals, and gives businesses a voice in the government. In addition, Chamber members enjoy invitations to chamber events and access to members-only discounts and services.
- Learn More »
Member Spotlight and Referral Program
- In addition to the benefits above, the East End Chamber also has a Membership Spotlight program through which businesses are featured on Chamber social media accounts, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. We also offer incentives through our Referral Program, which encourages current members to actively recruit potential new additions to the organization. These include tickets, hotel accommodations, and restaurant reservations—depending on the type of membership we’ve signed in— for every successful referral.
- Everything You Need To Know About The Houston East End Chamber of Commerce Directory
- The Houston Chamber of Commerce Directory is a useful resource for individuals and companies looking for service providers in the East End area. We compile and verify these providers and create a listing which includes business names, contact information, and services offered. Click here to view the directory. The companies are arranged per industry and in alphabetical order to make it easier for consumers to find what they are looking for.
- Houston East End Chamber of Commerce Events 2021
- The East End Chamber of Commerce actively implements its mission to connect businesses and stakeholders through community events. We organize gatherings, meetings, and awards ceremonies all year long.
Chamber events are updated frequently as new gatherings are continually added to the calendar. To stay in the know, visit our events page or subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
- Houston East End Chamber of Commerce Job Openings
- The Houston East End Chamber of Commerce is a valuable resource for those seeking employment opportunities. We post job listings and welcome job-seekers to check our job search page for potential job leads.
- Get Connected
- Sign up for our weekly e-blasts and stay updated on recent events, news, happenings and business.
- * Required field
- Name: *
- Email: *
The East End Chamber of Commerce Story Continues With You
The Chamber of Commerce serves as a tool for business owners in our East End community and supports the tradition of vitality and strong economy here. With a knowledge of the valuable services that Membership extends, we invite you to consider a Chamber Membership, so that you can take full advantage of the many programs and perks outlined here. Apply for a membership today, and come grow with us!
The success of the Chamber is deeply rooted within the culture and connections of its region—more specifically, the people and relationships of the East End. We believe it is from these relationships that commerce swells. We support interconnectivity among businesses because strong relationships spur growth and community.